Friday, April 15, 2011

Rocket science

My darling Monkey made a rocket at preschool. While we were playing it got me thinking.

When I was teaching I liked to begin the year in science class with a real fun experiment. I am thinking this would be great for introducing the scientific method.
The rockets are made out of a film canister (or a pill bottle that is not child safe). You put alka-seltzer and water, then put the cap on fast. Then launch it.

We could measure how far from the launching space it goes, measure the amount of water in Milliliters, measure the amount of alkaseltser with a scale.

We could vary the amount of water, and vary the amount of alkaseltser to see how far it goes.
I know my 5th graders would flip over this project. I am sure you could do it at anytime in the K-5 just varying the hypotheses.

2 comments:

  1. You could also time it with the different variables and see which made it take off sooner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the mentos and soda is fun too messy but so much fun

    ReplyDelete