Thursday, March 31, 2011

Literacy Work Stations

Here is a link to a post about literacy work stations.
http://thefirstgradejungle.blogspot.com/

I think that is a good title for the older grades (3rd through 5th). Don't want the kids to think I am "babying" them!
I am thinking I would do the following stations:

Word Work- Students will have (I think) daily word study work to do, plus activities in this station, like spelling their words with foam letters, illustrating words, timed spelling with magnet letters, practice tests....

Computer - This could be literacy games (from teacher selected sites) or typing up their writing

Writing - Lots of options here from creative writing via prompts, pictures, also work on publishing and editing.

Reading- It could be independent or partner reading on the rug

Games - These would be file folder games, or other literacy games

Listening - This would be short stories, picture books, or even Harry Potter, and longer books like that. I think it would be free choice.

I really think these could be developed to make them applicable to any grade.

 My thought is that I would do 3 reading groups, then their one rotation students would do their word study daily work (more about that later), then they could go to computer games or listening, then another rotation would be writing, reading or word work.

Students would visit 2 stations per day. So every 6 days they would complete all stations 2 times. Sometimes the work would be choice, sometimes it might be selected by me.

No comments:

Post a Comment